Do you love everything peppermint?
Kids love candy canes which makes this cake fun to make and decorate.
This is an easy cake to make using peppermint inspired treats – candy canes, meringue, peppermint candies, and red hots candy.
It also makes a beautiful display of red and white which people love at the holidays. Create snow-capped white trees for an elegant touch.
Watch the video for how-to make:
Do you have our FREE eCookbook? Kids Can Bake – No-fail perfect recipes. Click below.
Here is what you need
- Baked and cooled cakes – two 8-inch (see chocolate recipe below)
- Buttercream frosting or 2 tubs of frosting (add crushed candy canes in frosting that you use for the filling)
- Baked and frosted Cake. I used a three layer 8-inch cake to have height to showcase all the stars. Click on our frosting and cake recipes for ideas.
- Peppermint candies.
- Candy canes
- Cinnamon candies
- #1M tip for borders.
- #18 tip for trees
- Disposable decorating piping bags
How to Make:
Make chocolate (or your favorite cake). Let cool.
Frost with buttercream.
Fill piping bags with decorating tips and then frosting.
- Watch video to see how fun it is to decorate.
- Pipe trees and swirls.
- Decorate with peppermint candies.
Moist Chocolate Cake
- 2 8-inch pans
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not hot cocoa mix)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Cup buttermilk (or 1 Cup milk with teaspoon white vinegar)
- 1/2 Cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 1 Cup boiling water or hot flavored coffee
- Pre-heat Oven to 350 F (180 C) degrees. Line pans with parchment paper or lightly grease and flour.Mix all dry ingredients together with a whisk. If you see lumps, sift before adding to liquid mixture. In another larger bowl, mix milk, eggs, oil and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir till mixed. Once mixed, slowly add the hot water/coffee and stir with a whisk until well mixed. Pour into pans or cupcake tins with liner. Bake 30-35 minutes for two 8-inch pans and 18-20 minutes for cupcakes. checking for doneness after 25 minutes. Ovens vary so make sure the middle of the cake pops up when you lightly press with your finger for doneness. Let cool before frosting.