Known as “lilikoi” fruit, most call it passion fruit. It’s a beautiful fruit that looks like apples.
Recently, I traveled to the beautiful islands of Hawaii and while in Maui we made these passion fruit bars.
Here is what you need
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 Cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup lilikoi (passion fruit) puree or juice
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 lemon to get juice and zest
For Glaze: (optional)
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup lilikoi fruit juice
- Juice of 1/2 of lemon
Passion Fruit Lemon Bars
- 1 9 x 13 baking pan
- 1 Cup butter (2 sticks butter) for crust
- 1/2 Cup sugar for crust
- 2 Cups flour for crust
- 1/8 tsp salt for crust
- 6 large eggs for filling
- 2 Cups sugar for filling
- 1 Cup Passion Fruit Juice or Puree for filling
- 1 Cup flour for filling
- 1 large lemon (zest and squeeze for juice) for filling
- For Glaze 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup passion fruit puree, and juice of 1/2 lemon.
- To Make Crust:Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar with mixer until light in color.Add four and salt. Mix until it creates a dough. Press into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.Bake for fifteen 15 minutes.
- To Make Filling:Whisk eggs, sugar, lilikoi (passion fruit) juice, lemon zest, juice of lemon, and flour.Pour over the baked crust and bake 30 minutes.Let cool.
- To Make Glaze:Boil water and sugar in saucepan over medium heat. Add passion fruit juice and lemon juice and boil 3 minutes. Let boil as it expands. Turn off heat and it will begin to thicken and make it like a syrup.Allow to cool.Pour over bars.Cut into squares.