The best part of learning baking is knowing you can make swaps of one ingredient for another.
In this brownie recipe you will swap eggs for black beans and butter/oil for water or coffee (can be decaf) or you can use hot water or cocoa.
Did you know coffee brings out the flavor of chocolate?
Also, adding mashed black beans adds fiber, protein, calcium, magnesium, and zinc to the recipe.
Tip: When choosing black beans, do read the label. Many black beans cans have onion or garlic powder added. You want straight black beans only for this recipe.
Swap recipes are always a fun addition to baking and your kids will learn how different ingredients are used in baking.
The brownies are moist, dense and delicious!
Add on: You can add chocolate chips on top to make them even more chocolatey!
Do you have our FREE eCookbook? Kids Can Bake – No-fail perfect recipes. Click below.
Here is what you need
1 box brownie mix
1 Can black beans (drained, washed and mashed)
1/3 Cup brewed coffee
1 Cup chocolate chips (optional)
Method #2: see printable recipe
How to Make Simple Method:
Preheat oven 350 F
- Drain and wash black beans.
- In a bowl, mash bean with a masher or you can use a food processor.
- Add coffee. Stir well.
- Add brownie mix. Mix well. Add a little more water if too thick.
- Pour mixture in a lined 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Add chocolate chips on top (optional)
- Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until baked in the middle.
Black Bean Brownies
- EASY METHOD: 1 Box Brownie Mix, 1 can black beans (drained, washed and mashed), 1/3 Cup coffee or water, 1 Cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Method #2
- 2 Cups flour (you can use gluten free flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 2 tsps pure vanilla or almond extract
- 1 Can black beans (drained, washed, mashed)
- 3/4 Cup coffee or water
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Easy Method:Preheat oven to 350 F.1. Drain, wash and mash black beans in a bowl. It will look like a paste.2. Add coffee and mix.3. Add box of brownie mix.4. Mix well.5. Pour brownie mix into a 8 x 8 pan (lined with parchment paper).6. Top with chocolate chips (optional)7. Bake for 35 minutes, until middle is done.
- Method #2:Easy Method:Preheat oven to 350 F.1. Drain, wash and mash black beans in a bowl. It will look like a paste.2. In another bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder.3. Pour black beans paste, coffee or water, and extract.4. Mix well.5. Pour brownie mix into a 8 x 8 pan (lined with parchment paper).6. Top with chocolate chips (optional)7. Bake for 35 minutes, until middle is done.